Angostura Rum is a line of premium Caribbean rums produced at the House of Angostura distillery in Trinidad.
Under the Angostura brand, rum production was launched in 1875, but the company opened its distillery in 1945.
To date, the Angostura line of rums is the most titled line of rums in the world and is sold in more than 140 countries.
The plant, owned by the House of Angostura, is located in the town of Laventille. Six hundred thousand boxes of rum are produced annually and supplied to 140 countries of the world (including the UK, the USA, and almost all European countries).
For the first time, the rum «Angostura» was released in 1824 in the town of Angostura (Venezuela). The drink quickly gained popularity among sailors suffering from seasickness. Johann Gottlieb, the inventor of the drink, was a German military surgeon who sought to develop an effective medicine to acclimate Europeans to South America. Widespread unrest in Venezuela led Gottlieb’s sons to move with their father’s enterprise to the Caribbean island of Trinidad. A new distillery was founded there. Angostura Bitters Limited JSC was founded in 1921. Improvement of the drink recipe continued from 1936-1946.
It is known that molasses for Angostura was produced in four regions.
In 1949 and 1973, the company expanded production by purchasing two plants, Trinidad Distillers and Fernandes Distillers. Rum «Angostura» began to be supplied to the royal courts of Sweden and Great Britain.