The Glen Garioch distillery is one of the oldest in Scotland. But it is known that in 1785, the first distillation of whiskey was made. The year of the foundation of the distillery is 1797.
The plant is located in the village of Old Meldrum in Aberdeenshire, which is why it is sometimes called the Old Meldrum plant. Glen Garioch takes its official name from its location in the Giri Valley, where connoisseurs say some of the best barley varieties grow.
The whiskey produced at the distillery was very popular because it was included in the well-known 19th-century blends «VAT69», «Bell’s», «Grant’s», and «Drambuie» liqueur. In 1968, the plant was closed and only resumed production in 1972 after extensive renovations. Since 1994, the plant has been owned by the Japanese corporation Suntory.
Glen Garioch produces about a million liters of alcohol a year.