The Auchentoshan distillery was founded presumably in 1800, but under the name «Auchentoshan» it has been operating since 1834. Translated from Gaelic, it means «corner of the field». The plant is located in the lowlands north of Glasgow, and the source of the consumed water – Cochna Loch – is in the mountains. A feature of the plant is the use of triple distillation, in contrast to the generally accepted double. Edie Cairns purchased, restored, and refitted the plant in 1969. At the same time, the plant was renamed and began to be called «Auchentoshan». In 1984, the plant was bought by Morrison Bowmore, which became a subsidiary of the Japanese corporation Suntory ten years later. Suntory, which already owned Bowmore in Islay and Glen Garioch in the Highlands, quickly made Auchentoshan a winner, building a brand with an excellent reputation.